Harmony's Rockin' Cafe

Speak-Ez Community
burnt fare

Re: Harmony's Rockin' Cafe

Post by burnt fare » Sat May 05, 2012 9:33 pm

I like sharing a booth in an eatery with friends and having a club of regulars to debate, discuss or advise. Instead of a large group, four of us just get together and try to figure out what each person really wants to talk about and provide some buddy time. Book clubs need to downsize into booth-size groupings so that the book gets discussed and no one feels left out of the meeting.

Sometimes knowing there are several other people around, not everyone's going to finish reading or even get a significant portion of the book read. That means the other persons are doing the main work and that's just not fair. Or the coffee and snacks get more social scrutiny than the book.

Well, now I want a coffee from Harmony's cafe, some pie and a corner seat to delve into a book called Blindness (translated from Portuguese). I'll tell you about it later.
Burger time

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Wed May 09, 2012 10:42 pm

This week in Canada has two causes connected to it: mental health awareness and emergency preparedness. Besides website information, media launches and activities take place to make the public aware of resources in their communities, needs and what they can do to help themselves and others.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Fri May 18, 2012 11:47 am

While a foray into a fabric store was not successful on the fashion fabric search, I did spot a drapery/upholstery fabric on sale that had the right colours for use on old dining room chairs with separate seat sections (not attached to seat backs but to the chairs' metal frame/legs).

I recovered one seat last night (impulsive but the task was done) and have the second seat about to be recovered.

There are deals to be found if anyone needs outdoor patio panels, vinyl table covers (you can get the yardage/metrage you need cut from the rolls), or just inexpensive curtain or cushion fabric. I did miss looking over the non-sale fabric in upholstery but that was due to my need to look at the fashion side (which does not have the quality of floral prints I have come to see in sewing magazines; in fact the visible prints had me thinking that they were barely better than what is seen in stores in readymade clothing--big sigh).

And on the topic of readymade clothing, I ventured into Marshall's. Basically it is Winner's with a different name. I gave the store 10 minutes in footwear (no sizes past 9 seen), ladies' dresses and skirts. Then headed for the exit--I'm not a fan of Winners except for their handbags (can be a good variety) and small housewares.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sat May 19, 2012 2:44 pm

It's "Caturday"-a warm Saturday on the hot side, with a slight breeze that is ideal for stretching out on one's side like a cat from a comfortable spot and dozing. The sun is making quick drying possible for the laundry hung on the clothesline.

It's Victoria Day weekend in Ontario and other provinces--I can tell by the loud two-door sporty cars driving along the street. Haven't heard any motorcycles yet. There are many barbecue offers listed in the week's grocery flyers and of course, ice cream deals! This week is seemingly the first relatively warm week in the spring. Otherwise, the warm weather has been playing hide and seek which is not good for the vegetable seeds and starter plants trying to grow outdoors. But it is the weekend generally considered to be the one in which gardening can begin in earnest without frost concerns. I'd still say keep some tarps and jars or upturned pots on hand if the forecasts indicate any funny weather that will chill the garden greenery.

Apple trees lost most flowers due to prolonged cold weather in Ontario-there will be a consequence in that apples will be more dear at the grocery store in the autumn (fewer apples=higher prices).
80s pop music fan here!

guitarblues

Post by guitarblues » Sun May 20, 2012 4:30 pm

Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook and his new wife Priscilla Chan got married. I'd say it was a busy week for them both-his company had a share offering, she graduated from medical school, and the guests thought they were attending a graduation party. Seems both have updated their Facebook pages to reflect their married state.

Well, they have reason to celebrate. Let's hope they manage to balance personal and work lives and Facebook posts.
You'll be smiling if you sing some songs.

musicnomore

Post by musicnomore » Sun May 20, 2012 10:39 pm

The same brain that can feel emotional attachment (neurotransmitters) can seem adrift by low levels of one or more of the same transmitters. Research on brains, thanks to studies and MRI scans, has really given humanity lots of reading material about our styles of talking, responding or relating. And then there are the conditions that have impaired transmitters that define who is considered different brain-wise.

It would have been very useful to have had some of this material in adolescent years when figuring out why some peers got stuck on thinking about dates rather than studies. There still remains an opportunity for young adults to discover some of the material during their studies or chance encounter with someone differently wired to inspire a quest for more knowledge. Think of how many relationships could be helped by understanding how the other person thinks etc.

No Reservations
Come on in, we are always open

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Mon May 28, 2012 7:38 pm

It's Memorial Day in the US, so that is a long weekend concluding today.

Perhaps due the proximity of the US holiday to our Canadian holiday for Queen Victoria that Hamilton, ON municipal residents get a second week allowing 3 bags/containers of garbage, rather than one. Either the public works staffers figured out there are plenty of BBQs, cross border shopping trips or household moves going on that they were able to convince the local politicians of the need for that allowance. (Basically, it has been observed that plenty of illegal dumping is happening in rural areas and around the city when the 1 bag/container per household bylaw got enforced. Not that apartment buildings have the same threshold or even mandatory green bin use as households do.)
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:14 pm

A little gratitude post for foot-high stems of lavender, sunshine, and floral blooms today seems appropriate-they were things I enjoyed for a few minutes outdoors tonight. Some lavender stems are in a small glass for their slight aroma (which I hope means a good sleep tonight) by the computer. I saw some greenery that requires some cutting back and roses that are many in number. Might be an idea to give them some more food to help the roses continue to bloom.

Wish I had raspberry bushes! I checked the sour cherry trees and saw the odd sight of pits attached to stems, so did the fruit rot off or get pulled off of the pits?
80s pop music fan here!

musicnomore

Post by musicnomore » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:37 pm

Nature could have stressed the cherries, yet given the lavender what it needed to bloom. Could be a dicey issue if you like cherries and don't like lavender as they are not interchangeable for eating etc.

Birds can be a nuisance (swooping on food, towards people, towards pets) right now. Quick-where's a handler with a predator bird for rent? A visit by the special bird could put the swoopers back in line.

No Reservations

musicnomore

Post by musicnomore » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:23 pm

Given the challenging weather affecting different states and hydro, let us thank the people helping to restore the power, to clear up debris, to provide food and shelter to the homeless and hungry and basically giving their time to help someone in need. Much good and calmness of mind is provided by the actions of others with the resources to help them.

No Reservations

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:25 pm

RDI weekend had an interview with Sylvie Bernier, a former Olympic diver for Canada, this morning. She will be going to London with Team Canada as the assistant chef de mission (chef de mission adjointe roughly translates to deputy head of mission). Former Olympic swimmer, Mark Tewksbury is the head chef de mission.

http://olympic.ca/team-canada/sylvie-bernier
http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/07/12/te ... -pressures

The news headline summaries at the top of the hour and at the half-hour showed video of the mud going downhill at Johnston's Landing (British Columbia) from Thursday. Seeing some destroyed buildings and matchstick like snapped trees impresses the viewers with the strength of the geological event.
80s pop music fan here!

pretzels

Post by pretzels » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:59 pm

The trooping of the Red, White, and Blue on network television is coming soon? Good to know. Yes, I mean the US team, not the Canadian team.

Summer, beer, pretzels, and chips make for indoor tv viewing fun. And I can have the air conditioning on, which athletes are will want on hot competition days. Depends if the London weather forecast stays on track for rain or summer.
Old salt on board.

musicnomore

Post by musicnomore » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:00 pm

Welcome rain for the grass, the food crops and the flowers. It sure has been dry lately around here, but sadly too wet for others elsewhere. The balance is missing.

The food might cost some more if things can't grow because of the heat or dryness. Then we'll all have to adapt to trying new foods.

No Reservations

pretzels

Post by pretzels » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:48 pm

Harmony, I take a UK beer to watch the Games on television. I know, I know, not all US viewers are thrilled with NBC's Games coverage or edited program coverage. The tech viewers have found ways to make their computers seem to be on UK servers to follow BBC coverage. Or ways to get Canadian coverage.

NBC also has Ryan Seacrest, a popular entertainment producer and guy on that dance show but with no sports broadcasting experience that is known to the USA. Must be some really steamed sports people in the network that got passed over for Mr. Seacrest to get his gold ticket into the media booth.
Old salt on board.

Tsukihime
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Tsukihime » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:54 pm

Rant-backyard parties/wedding that run past 11:00 p.m. outside. Yes, the neighbors have no need for sleep or quiet---thanks, neighbors. Rant over.

Feeling sorry for London's lack of shopping activity as many residents are avoiding going out due to the Games' coverage. Or so it seems if the newspapers and online coverage indicate.
That's princess to you.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:32 pm

Weeding/grass trimming around flower beds, buildings-well, nothing lets one know how sturdy crabgrass is until one has to yank really long grass plants out of the dirt. Reason enough not to let the edge grass get long...good thing that hedge clippers helped with the task then hands removed the root system.

I had put off planting a 4-cell pack of snapdragons and a 4-cell pack of alyssum from last week-got them into the ground and watered. May lose the snapdragons, as they are so dry. Planted a second crop of radishes to see if I can wait one month for a crop. They do need time to get big. At the three week point, there is a peppery bite the size of a tiny appetizer.

Realized that even small eggplants have to reach maturity before they are edible. I had picked off one new little one and washed/chopped/sauteed it with the two older and drying out ones. Well, the taste was like chewing vinyl with an offputting green/bitter flavour. Yes there was some salt and a little white pepper but the impression was of chewing bitter vinyl.
80s pop music fan here!

musicnomore

Post by musicnomore » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:26 pm

It's been a week since the Summer Olympics ended the big "party" for London, England. No updates about the venues and how the Paralympics are going? Or what places are going to stay and which ones will be taken down?

As a business person, I would like to know how financially beneficial the sports event was. There was some grumbling about hotel business being down due price hikes and people taking the "stay away" part seriously.

No Reservations

musicnomore

Post by musicnomore » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Who would want to wake up in early morning hours to co-host a morning show on network tv? Not me. I like my sleep.

What incentive might entice you to try the co-hosting for a week, say during a regular co-host's vacation?

No Reservations

Tsukihime
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Tsukihime » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:35 pm

Who'd want to be an insurance adjuster working hours to resolve hurricane damage claims? Not me. I don't know the benefits that come with dealing with calls at various hours, travel, and having to juggle a family life at the same time.

Louisiana had cows on porches in flooded areas. How did the cows get on the porches-did they get there after the waters receded or before the waters receded??
That's princess to you.

alohasand

Post by alohasand » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:44 pm

Cruise sales are being promoted but the season is coming along for warm climate cruises. Sure, I LOVE warm weather but is there a website that lists where all the cruise ships are registered? Some countries are not known for having good laws and it'd be a pity to get excited about ship amenities and entertainment and destinations then find out the ship is registered in a country of dubious repute for its legal system.

Have been noticing that various travel operators are promoting their nights of cruise options and packages--oh the sightseeing you can do, the ports you can visit, the shopping... 8-)
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:40 am

Canada is celebrating Thanksgiving Day across the land. It is usually a day off for most people or a paid statutory holiday for those who are working. Be very nice to the hospitality workers if you visit their workplaces-the workers might have liked the day off as well today.

Made a baked cobbler with frozen blueberries and apples--I was not venturing into pie pastry today. Cobbler was delicious after my mugs of tea while waiting for the dish to bake.

Plenty of fall colour in Southern Ontario though the chilly temperatures continue. Sunshine has graced the morning. There will be leaves to rake soon!
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:46 pm

Besides enjoying the fall colours, I enjoy some raking of leaves too in the autumn season! Today, it was the carpet of pine needles on the main lawn with smaller piles of maple leaves on the sides and back lawns, then two more piles of pine needles on the other side that kept me busy. Well, at least my back was quiet during the work/toting of bags of needles or leaves to the compost area and the lawn grasscutting. But when I was beginning to squat near a flowerbed to do some flower trimming, muscles started to complain.

Indoors, my lower back gave me the old stiffness routine once I started to sit. Thank goodness for a handful of Epsom salts in a warm foot bath-I got some muscle pain relief!

I think people would enjoy the benefits of outdoor air, seeing the sun set and realizing how good a lawn can look after the leaves are raked. The exercise would be a good change from tv time indoors.

Odd object found by the roadside during raking-a cigarette lighter. :(
80s pop music fan here!

musicnomore

Post by musicnomore » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:53 pm

Little sticky note pads with small pencils are at each seat in the cafe. Doodling can pass the time and make the wait for an order more enjoyable. You can draw cartoons, try some fancy writing, play tic-tac-toe or hangman, or write something good that happened in your day.

That's my October treat in the cafe.

No Reservations

pretzels

Post by pretzels » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:25 pm

Cooking and baking classes point to warm kitchens and results to take home or to share. However, trying to do a batch of anything at home seems like too much work (everything depends on me to get it, use it, wash it, put it away, or clean it). I'll find a bunch of mellow music CDs to get me through 3 hours of preparation and cooking so I can make some meals for the freezer and then know there's ready food in the fridge. Takeout is much easier but I can't take out home made casseroles or stews (and have the seasonings just right for my tastes).

Got some grocery flyers at my right elbow, a mug of hot chocolate with some spices dashed in, a list and a pencil. Have the tv off and am streaming some Internet radio to get me through this task. Glad I check my cupboards and fridge after dinner to see what's missing.

I am adding some tropical fruits to the list--bright colors bring some zest to snacks and breakfast. Can't fit a sunshine vacation in my budget so the fruits will have to substitute for the beach.
Old salt on board.

smitty

Post by smitty » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:49 pm

Honestly CieOnTap, I am not keen on raking up the leaves. True I have one shade tree eing Verrigated Maple, that looks good, but drops a lot of leaves in my front yard.

Mind you my backyard neighbor has a maze of their threes hanging on the other side of the fence & so ran cannot get what is under them plus the maze of leaves they will produce. You see the trees are always leaning to the south & so into the sun. If I have a close line up the branches will wrap around the close line & make it impossible to be used.

I often wonder what he does with all the leaves for he has around 26 trees in his yard from a number of fruit trees to some pine trees.

If I was to the Corporation of Town, I know they would point out that this fence I had to pay half for is on MY property & that so many of his trees are hanging into my yard, but he would be up against a lawyer.

I just let him go AS IS as he bought this place for PRIVACY (as they have said to me in the past) according to him & his wife. He would have been better to have obtain a home a bit farther out of this town---like something of a few or more acres rather then the city lot in this area where home lots are so darn close to us or should I say OTHERS?.

musicnomore

Post by musicnomore » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:07 pm

As far as I know about trees and properties-if there are branches hanging over on your side, you are good to chop or trim as you like. Just have earplugs handy if the owners squawk about appearances yet had not bothered to keep their trees cut back so as not to drop leaves on your yard.

Fruit trees-well, their leaves would be good for a compost heap or even to help the ground around the tree get some nutrients for the following year.

Christmas music-much brouhaha over playing Christmas music in stores right after Halloween and before Veteran's Day. I agree with some more days free of Christmas music-the month of December would be best suited for the music. Keep the music easy listening for now and shoppers will enjoy their shopping experiences more (and stores will keep staff from fleeing their workplaces after hearing the canned music too many times in their shift).

No Reservations

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:22 pm

Drivers, mind those pedestrian signals at night! Even if you have a green light, if you see the Walk signal on, ALWAYS look for pedestrians. Had two very close calls, the first driver had not seen more nor slowed until the swerve, yesterday. Both times, the pedestrian Walk signal was on.

I did not use my flashlight as each intersection had a lamppost at each corner. I think I need to get a bigger and flashier accessory so I look too bright at the corner.
80s pop music fan here!

musicnomore

Post by musicnomore » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:44 pm

Sad to read of the Walmart shoplifting suspect passing away. The suspect was asked for a store receipt in the early morning of Sunday and he ran in reply, then the situation in the parking lot happened.

No Reservations

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:03 pm

A retail position description had "strong emotional control" as one of the requirements for the job. How much control would there be in a position that requires all kinds of shift flexibility? That would be a definition worth seeking in an interview.

See-saw day: I got something in the mail that made me happy; had arguments over an appliance-communication!

Some residences have the outdoor Christmas lights on their trees and the twinkling looks nice in the chilly night. A potential walk is in order to see the displays better.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:04 am

I find the locations of coffee shops kind of haphazard if they are not located by curbs with lots of foot traffic. Yet, this morning, one shop is kitty corner to the nearby grocery store and that seems to justify its spot. Lots of pedestrian food traffic was indoors, as I joined the patrons in ordering a hot beverage for the chilly morning.

Nice way to finish up the balance on a gift card, using it to pay part of the chai latte!
80s pop music fan here!