Daylight Saving Time

In the News
dreamon

Daylight Saving Time

Post by dreamon » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:55 am

In Canada/US, they set the clocks back on November 2. Except in Saskatchewan. They leave the clocks as is.
In the U.S., Arizona doesn’t observe Daylight Saving Time, but the Navajo Nation (parts of which are in three states)
does. However, the Hopi Reservation, which is entirely surrounded by the Navajo Nation, doesn’t observe DST.
In effect, there is a donut-shaped area of Arizona that does observe DST, but the “hole” in the center does not.

http://www.timetemperature.com/tzca/day ... nada.shtml

In Australia it happens on Oct. 5.

INTRODUCING daylight saving over a long weekend will put motorists at extra risk because of sleep
deprivation, studies show.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/som ... 91385.html

Does your country observe DST and if so when do you change the clocks?

http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/g.html

The universe is big It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely
impossible things just happen and we call them miracles

CielOnTap

Re: Daylight Saving Time

Post by CielOnTap » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:49 am

I almost want to see the end of DST. I used to like the changeback to regular EST in October but now with the November changeback, I want to side with Saskatchewan. Trivia-time is in the jurisdiction of provinces and territories in Canada.
80s pop music fan here!

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by deja vu » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:58 pm

Daylight Savings Time: FALL BACK. Yes for N. America and perhaps other areas in the world,
its this weekend. Set them back an hour before you go to bed Saturday night. Dont forget the
alarm clock, cant use it as an excuse to be late for work on Sunday or Monday morning.

Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by deja vu » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:23 pm

Yes Folks, its that time of year again. Time to Spring Forward for some, for others Spring back.

*Sunday, March 8, 2009: Midnight Sat-Sun back to Sat 11:00 PM

Paraguay ()Asuncion

*Sunday, March 8, 2009: 2:00 AM back to 1:00 AM

Uruguay (Montevideo)

*Sunday, March 8, 2009: 12:00 Midnight forward to 1:00 AM

Cuba (Havana)

*Sunday, March 8, 2009: 12:01 AM forward to 1:01 AM

Canada - St. John's (Newfoundland and Labrador)
Canada Happy Valley-Goose Bay (Newfoundland and Labrador)

*Sunday, March 8, 2009: 2:00 AM forward to 3:00 AM

Bahamas (Nassau)
Canada
Denmark (except Greenland, they change on March 28th and March 29th)
France
United Kingdom (See March 29th for those that dont switch on March 8th)
United States

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Saturday, March 14, 2009: 10:00 PM back to 9:00 PM

Chile (Easter Island)

*Sunday, March 15, 2009: Midnight Sat-Sun back to Sat 11:00 PM

Chile (Santiago)
Argentina (Buenos Aires)

*Sunday, March 22, 2009: 12:00 Midnight forward to 1:00 AM

Iran (Tehran)

*Friday, March 27, 2009: 12:00 Midnight forward to 1:00 AM

Gaza Strip (Gaza)
Jordan (Amman)
West Bank (Bethlehem)

*Friday, March 27, 2009: 2:00 AM forward to 3:00 AM

Israel (Jerusalem and Tel Aviv)

*Saturday, March 28, 2009: 10:00 PM forward to 11:00 PM

Denmark -Nuuk (Greenland)

*Sunday, March 29, 2009: 12:00 Midnight forward to 1:00 AM

Denmark - Ittoqqortoormiit (Greenland)
Lebanon (Beirut)
Portugal (Azores)

*Sunday, March 29, 2009: 1:00 AM forward to 2:00 AM

Denmark - Tórshavn (Faroe Islands)
Ireland (Dublin)
Isle of Man (Douglas)
Portugal (Lisbon)
Spain Las Palmas (Canary Islands)
United Kingdom:
(Belfast (Northern Ireland)
Cardiff (Wales)
Glasgow (Scotland)
London (England)

*Sunday, March 29, 2009: 2:00 AM forward to 3:00 AM

Albania (Tirane)
Andorra (Andorra La Vella)
Armenia (Yerevan)
Austria (Vienna)
Belarus (Minsk)
Belgium (Brussels)

For the rest of March 29th listings and April 3rd, please go to:

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dstevents.html

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:06 pm

Oh, I want big business to revert to the early April-late October clock changes. This March change is ridiculous.
80s pop music fan here!

yukon

Post by yukon » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:31 am

Drooping eyes? Blame it on daylight saving

What a difference an hour makes.

If you've fallen asleep at your desk this week or felt like a bag of rocks getting out of bed in the morning, blame daylight saving time, Toronto sleep experts say.

"We already live in a time famine era," says Dr. Harvey Moldofsky at the Centre for Sleep and Chronobiology. "Throw in that extra hour and you're just tipping the balance ... Your ability to work efficiently and drive safely is going to be affected."

While official statistics aren't in, Toronto police say the number of speed- and alcohol-related incidents from Monday to Wednesday was "dramatically" higher than the same period a week earlier.

"In one day you go from 7 in the morning being in daylight to darkness," said Sgt. Tim Burrows. "In the afternoon, you were driving home and the sun was not a factor and now all of a sudden you're driving right into it. That can be quite hard on your system."

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/600892
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by deja vu » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:06 pm

Mobile phones ring in wrong daylight saving

The Y2K bug may have been a dud, but the daylight saving glitch has struck - yet again.

Telstra denied it was responsible for an electronic hiccup that caused havoc yesterday when mobile phones, BlackBerries and other personal digital assistants changed their internal clocks a week early, leaving countless people an hour late.

"I've been BlackBerried," said Rory Grace, president of the Northbridge Football Club. He had set his PDA for 6.45am, so he could have the goal posts up at his local oval for kick-off at 8am.

After being woken by the alarm, his wife, Liz, checked her watch and realised it was in fact almost 8am.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2009/03/ ... 44933.html

At least they can prove they did not do it deliberately. Blame it on the Blackberry will become the new excuse to cover a few things.

burnt fare

Post by burnt fare » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:28 pm

Adults have their version of the "dog ate my homework?" No, it is more that they rely on the devices for their day-to-day lives, so they may overlook notices about the coming time change. Wall calendars have value in an electronic age-you can circle dates and use markers to note important matters, like clock changes. :mrgreen:
Burger time

smitty

Post by smitty » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:03 pm

This is my prize pain in the neck, well also the changing back later on in the year. For some reason I get all mixed up with the dates of that to the next month. Often open up the gun range with members ALSO mixed up being to late or to early & all gripping over the time changes.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:34 pm

5 more days until North Americans revert back to Standard Time (and an extra hour of sleep!) on November 1.

Have to remember to reset all the gadgets with clocks (in the house, in the garage, in the car...).
80s pop music fan here!

sharkeys

Post by sharkeys » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:17 pm

Already that time of year to move the clocks back? Oh, JOY! Need a clock holiday but clocks are not made in North America, are they? Speakezforums had a thread on schools that take students for clockmaking and that get jobs right out of school. Switzerland probably has a special day for clocks.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.

smitty

Post by smitty » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:58 pm

I have DST & wish the time would be normal from one end of the year to the other. So many people get mixed up on the two changes every year & none seem to like DST of fellow Western Canadians. Thankfully it was left along in Saskatchewan.

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by deja vu » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:09 pm

Smitty:

Saskatchewan may have the right idea. Thankfully I only have to turn my watch and microwave clock back an hour later tonight. The TV
does it automatically.

smitty

Post by smitty » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:27 pm

What a bummer, for this evening I realized I was getting low on things like milk, some fruit, to some vegitables. So starting to drive to the Grocery store ONLY did not realize this was Halloween night & all these teeners were dressed in DARK gear with no reflectors, no flashlights & did not care about the traffic they stepped into that was still rolling. No eggs throwen thank-you.

We basically do NOT have paved sidewalks, SO things can be tricky when it is dark & teeners are sort of in another world. I did see a husband & wife taking their usual walk with bright clothing fully reflective gear along with flash lights & reflectors. So the difference between teeners & adults really stood out that strongly. Also the adults walked against the oncomming traffic while the teeners were all over the place.

sharkeys

Post by sharkeys » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:27 am

The morning show hosts for the weekend must have been glad to get some extra winks. Expect to see much headwear on the outdoor spot report segments and those wrapped scarves on the journalists in coming days. Yes, it's nippy outside. Fall's stage exit from the colourful leaves.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:47 pm

In two weeks, North America switches time ahead to DST. It still feels too early for the change. I suggest we prorogue tax payments until our provincial leaders strike out DST.
80s pop music fan here!

burnt fare

Post by burnt fare » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:25 pm

Darn, that news just gave the Monday blues. I'll have to plan a transition to the time change then, so it won't be a shock to get up "early."
Burger time

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by deja vu » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:18 pm

So soon? How time flies. :lol:

pysanky

Post by pysanky » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:02 pm

March start today and reminder about time! Did not check calendar, so thanks for post. This clock-moving trouble; clock-watching at work is sport for all.
Happy New Year-2015 now on scene.

smitty

Post by smitty » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:09 pm

Even in a year my outlook on DST is the same as last year. I ruddy pain in the neck to me & so many others. Thing will be screwed up again especially it dates to what is the real time----confussion to us older people I can assure you.

Now if I have this right I am to be at he Subaru Car shop for a recall job that is to take 3 hrs, at 11:00am or is it 10:00am or NOON? Time of confusion for sure to also when I am to be a the gun range for I could be there an hour early or an hour late & others will also be confused.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:36 pm

Accidents spike when clocks spring ahead
Last Updated: Friday, March 12, 2010 | 12:09 PM ET
CBC News
Daylight time kicks in on Sunday, which not only means later sunsets but more dangerous drivers.

According to Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI), in a five-year period between 2003 and 2008, motor vehicle crashes on the Monday following the time change increase an average of 11 per cent — from 219 to 244 across the province.

Springing our clocks ahead one hour is enough to throw our internal clocks out of whack, said Diana McMillan, a sleep researcher at the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg.

'I actually try, if I possibly can, to stay off the road.'—Diana McMillan, sleep researcher
Consequently, many of us become sleep deprived and when we are overtired our ability to focus and think is impaired, she said. http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2010/0 ... nipeg.html
80s pop music fan here!

smitty

Post by smitty » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Honestly this shifting of time two times of the year is a pain in the neck to put it bluntly. I leave the clocks of my m/cs at the normal time for late spring riding. Have to change them in my home plus my wrist watch for I MUST open up the h/gun indoor range on the usual time of around 30 minutes or more before 10:00 am. Also know some members will have forgotten the change & many curse it like I do.

I was on a m/c board when one active regular came up with the change in time & so many complained about the stupidity while one chaps in Hawaiia pointed out they did not change.

No one pointed out about the frequent accidents on Monday though. Mind you some complained about the 2nd clock change of the same year every darn time.

burnt fare

Post by burnt fare » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:14 pm

Not great news but consider myself in the know that is must be done. Politicians need to rectify this and stay on standard time.
Burger time

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:19 pm

Oh, time to set everything forward while the idea is on my mind. Then bedtime won't be a problem as time is set already. Spring is 8 days away by the calendar. Must consider getting some seeds...
80s pop music fan here!

123duyusee

Post by 123duyusee » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:59 pm

I'm sleeping in tomorrow anyway. Though I will leave a Post-It note by my clock to remind me to check all gadgets and the car dash after breakfast.
The count is in...

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:42 am

Russia eliminates two time zones
By The Associated Press
Last Updated: March 28, 2010 6:56am
MOSCOW — Russia’s president thinks the country had too much time on its hands, so he has eliminated two time zones.

The sprawling country, which takes up about 11 percent of the world’s land mass, used to have 11 time zones, but now has a slightly less-unwieldy nine.

The changes went into effect before dawn Sunday when most of Russia switched to daylight savings time. People in the eliminated time zones didn’t move their clocks an hour ahead.http://www.torontosun.com/news/world/20 ... 83986.html

There will be clocks in Russia that need adjusting if one follows international stock markets, as well as computers and fax machines.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:49 pm

In one week, we will revert back to Standard Time! Happy thoughts but lesser daylight hours.
80s pop music fan here!

guitarblues

Post by guitarblues » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:48 pm

You're not kidding. With the change of month comes the change of the clock. Getting the marker out now to mark the date and to remember the switcheroo.
You'll be smiling if you sing some songs.

smitty

Post by smitty » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:02 pm

The DST & its fall back will drive me up the wall. For as the Club's h/gun director I am there a bit before 10:00am & will find other stagging in at the wrong time, though at the change again will have them all mixed up. For in truth I am mixed up as well.

When I lived in Saskachewan it just seemed in perfection to me. Also I complained last year over the same.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:26 pm

When software does not know the time switch date, you rise for work very late. Timepieces still have a function--to be set by their owners to the correct times.

iPhone glitch leaves scores late to work
Mon Nov 1, 7:22 AM

Scores of iPhone users were late to work on Monday, after a bug in the software meant the device's alarm clock feature failed to adjust to Daylight Saving Time.

Hundreds of angry comments were posted on the social networking website Twitter about the glitch on the Apple device, which occured even though the rest of the phone's features updated the time automatically.

"Well done Apple - you've made me decide I need to use a proper alarm clock rather than relying on my iPhone," one user tweeted. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/101101/w ... ogy_iphone
80s pop music fan here!