Post by deja vu » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:04 pm

It's here.

Are you ready to Fall Back?
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio

CielOnTap

Re: Daylight Saving Time

Post by CielOnTap » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:11 pm

More than ready for the time switch! I'd like our provinces to say no to following the US custom of switching clocks ahead in March and back in November. Let's just stay on Standard Time. Surely someone has calculated how much it costs society to change all the time settings on 5-10 objects.

Has anyone in North America found their iPhones not picking up on the November week of DST?
80s pop music fan here!

sharkeys

Post by sharkeys » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:29 pm

Tick-tock, tick-tock, getting ready to change back the clocks tonight! How I wish that we could let the clocks be...more minutes to enjoy sleep or a show or people. Pleasant dreams!
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.

smitty

Post by smitty » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Thing is I know tomorrow I have to open up the gun range, but then really this DT is bunging things up. Like is it 2:12 pm now or should I set my clock back 2 hrs before going to bed this evening.

I hate this frustrations & am having more then enough right now after spending three days or more in a hospital for so many test, to also making it home, in driving there on my own & driving home on my own plus several times I have been to this small towns hospital with a lab, X-ray machinery & knowing a few yrs I had both of my eyes operated on for my depth of field was frightening me as a m/c rider on the twisties & now that is perfected. Still any of you that are Cdns know about the little let out to the Provincial Govts & so some ideal small town hospitals were closed down. Yet eye operation is carried out in the '69 Summerland hospital.

I know when my father died in '83 we made a donation of $3,500.00, but once my mother passed away in '91 no donations were made to this hospital being closed down. I have mentioned that on one occasation waiting fo the swine flu shot I noted the washroom was open sto stepped in & was shocked with the complete floor, the cieling, to all the walls were with tile. Making a wasroom in Penticton hospital look like ---well like it was built some 80 yrs ago!!!!!!!!!!! Ih yes the Summeralnd was built in '69.

Fact is i am back to shooting with both eyes open rather then closing the left eye & usin the right for aiming a h/gun.

I know the above befuddles the beginners when shooting with us. Mind you a good shooter WILL shoot with both eyes open & same for the trap shooters.

sharkeys

Post by sharkeys » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:11 pm

This is the last spring for DST in Russia. Medvedev said so.
http://www.prime-tass.com/news/_Medvede ... 143%7D.uif

I could stand the abolition of DST--too many things to change forward and then wonder who's clock is really correct timewise.

smitty

Post by smitty » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:55 pm

As most can see the stupid Daylight Saving time is something I look upon as the pits. Also the shift back screws up others as well. BOTH have members turning up at the gun range to early or to late & all curse this dalylight saving time. I have never heard one to praise or back it for any reasons.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:44 pm

US and Canada have to move clocks forward on Sunday morning, two weeks before the UK and Europe:
Daylight Savings Time is headed our way whether you like it or not. Officially, the clocks skip ahead an hour Sunday at 2 a.m.

Each year Ontarians lose an hour of sleep on the second Sunday in March. The hour of sleep is gained back the first Sunday in November when the clocks are set back an hour.
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/952 ... is-weekend

It is an election year in Ontario. Which provincial party is willing to legislate DST out of existence for Ontario? Time is considered a provincial concern. I'd like to side with Saskatchewan and not business in the US-let's have Eastern Standard Time all year long. Routines will be consistent.
80s pop music fan here!

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by deja vu » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:52 pm

It's that time of year again.

It's time for the clocks to fall back one hour at 2am Sunday. The exception in Canada is the province of Saskatchewan.
Saskatchewan DST:
The provincial government (of Saskatchewan) received requests to adopt Daylight Saving Time, has examined the issue in detail and has decided to retain the current time system established under The Time Act for all of Saskatchewan. This issue is a divisive one with no consensus apparent within the whole province.

Saskatchewan is naturally located within the Mountain Standard Time (MST) zone which runs from just west of Winnipeg, Manitoba to just east of Lethbridge, Alberta. Under The Time Act, Saskatchewan adopted Central Standard Time and therefore shares the same time as Alberta during the summer months and the same time as Manitoba during the winter months.

signs
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by signs » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:41 pm

Daylight saving time ends on Sunday, which means there are a few of us asking ourselves, as we do biannually: "It's spring ahead, fall back, right?" and "Which one is the good one?" We're happy to remind our dear readers that a) it's "fall back" (duh) and b) this is the good one.

We'll get an extra hour of sleep Sunday morning, and we'll all enjoy lighter, brighter mornings. That also means longer, darker evenings. Your body doesn't know it yet, but this is going to be awesome.

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011 ... -fall-back

Did it a little while ago. The TV sets itself as does the computer. Only had to deal with the microwave
and watch. Looking forward to that extra hour.
Sign Sign everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind

smitty

Post by smitty » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:35 pm

Honestly I find it hard to Spring ahead & Fall back. For yesterday I did not know if I was an hour early or an hour late at the gun range. To find the Trap Chairman had arrived before me & was with some polishing of his car, for nothing to do till fellow trap shooters arrived.

So yes a few of us were mixed up & I knew I have a clock upstairs & one beside the bed in the basement, but both were not correct.

True I should be able to not the Monitor of my computer indicating the time & what day it was BUT unfortunately the PC monitor had stopped working on Saturday & I finally got it working, with luck, later after we had been over at the gun range.

Being an honest to gosher I was a born "Saskabusher", from Saskatoon, back in 1930, when I was bonn, & still feel Saskatchewan is 100% correct.

sharkeys

Post by sharkeys » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:43 pm

Glad to back on standard time. I don't know how cellphone users keep on top of their gadgets' clocks. I rely on battery powered clocks then the corded things-tv, stove.

I saw a municipal sign that was several minutes behind-it's one of those electronic signs. Hope a staffer figures out the change before a citizen has to point out the obvious.

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by deja vu » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:37 pm

The less sleep you got last night, the more likely you are to read stories like “Snooki’s pregnant, astrologer predicts trouble” watch the latest Katy Perry video or read anything all about the Leafs.

This “cyberloafing” at work increased by 3.1 per cent on the Monday after Daylight Saving Time kicks in, found researchers in a study that will be published in the Journal of Applied Psychology.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... hians?bn=1

What the ? Very scary thought to say the least. Someone wasted thousands or millions to find this out? I can't believe that some think about these so called celebrities just because they didn't get enough sleep. Didn't their 15 minutes of fame end a long time ago?

coffee101

Post by coffee101 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:48 pm

For many Americans, the switch to daylight saving time is an annual rite of exhaustion. Gaining that extra hour of daylight at night means losing it in the morning. The time shift disrupts the body's natural circadian rhythm, according to sleep scientists. So the alarm clock blares just as your internal sleep-wake cycle orders you to stay snugly in bed.

It's always harder to adjust to the "spring ahead" time change (as we did Sunday morning) than to the "fall back" change (on November 4), just as it's harder to fly east than west. Circadian rhythms are likely genetically determined and not fully understood.

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... odayhealth

I set the clocks and go to bed at the regular time. I usually don't plan to do much the next day so I can adjust quietly. Plus having lots of coffee available may help if you don't get enough sleep.
Conscience keeps more people awake than coffee.

smitty

Post by smitty » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:48 pm

I think two members of the h/gun sectioned phoned to let me know THIS WAS SATURDAY so set your watch back an hour. Well I think that is what they said for I am always there early to open up the indoor range.

Must admit I was still convused & wonder if I did what they mentioned. To wake up at 6:00 am to have my snower to b/fast & was at the range one or two hours to early.

Obviously I HATE the Cdn wide canges in time several times a year BAR SASKATCHEWAN that are on the correct track.

I even look at my computer, by turning it on and WONDER if it is that one our change or is it still the time of Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

manga2read

Post by manga2read » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:38 pm

Spring forward and fall back are the terms to make us think which way the clocks move. Yet, I saw "fall back" on a couple of March reminders and thought that proofreaders missed the obvious--spring happens in March.
a word with you

smitty

Post by smitty » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:17 pm

Yet manga2read , in this part of Canada Spring is really not till sometime after March & especially for some of us that ride m/cs.

Mind you I saw an idiot on a m/c sometime this morning. Conditions were TERRIBLE with slippery roads, even slippery for anyone walking in Penticton city.

This has to be one of those with the one run from Kelowna to Penticton for a beer then back to Kelowna again. THOSE I do not understand for my riding is 5+ tp 7+ hrs over one of the passes to some town & back home again. NEVER like that rider to-day & I was thankfull I was driving with an all wheel drive vehicle plus snow tyres so had decent traction.

smitty

Post by smitty » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:27 pm

Having gone through the mess as mentioned in above post is knowing in a while it will be the opposit way, SO have to wonder if I will be as mixed up as the last one in going back an hour FOR this on is going ahead an hour.

Why rest of Canada does not stick with the thinking of the Province of Saskatchewan to even some States of the USA, I really do not know?????

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:32 pm

For all the Premiers to agree to something like time-would the Premiers realize that citizens want standard time year round over the objections of businesses wanting to be synchronized with their US counterparts in the same time zones?

Actually, do people in the US even want daylight saving time?

I think the construction industry would like to keep DST because in many cities/municipalities, there are bylaws on the earliest time allowed for the start of construction work. 7:00 am might be a couple of hours warm in late March on standard time and construction site supervisors might be wishing to have started earlier when the sun began to light the sky.
80s pop music fan here!

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by deja vu » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:15 pm

It's time for the fall back in some parts of the world this weekend. I only have a watch and microwave to worry about so it will be a fast change over.

manga2read

Post by manga2read » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:38 pm

Computers take care of themselves but fax machines and copiers don't-always check the date, even on Feb. 29 or you'll be surprised. Sleeping in will be so worthwhile on Sunday! Party's on for standard time-fall back an hour, bliss...

Have wall clocks, watches, stove clock, HD unit, and tv to move back--always do it around 9pm Saturday then it's done before I'm too tired to care about changing time.
a word with you

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by deja vu » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:09 pm

That went fast. Yes it's time to spring forward and set your clocks ahead an hour.

http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/0 ... -time?lite

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:36 pm

Give me a cheer! Three more days until Standard Time returns to North America. Hip, hip, HOORAY. Yes, a happy moderator is a good sign. :roll:
80s pop music fan here!

dreamon

Post by dreamon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:12 pm

Here we go again.

I cheat and do it before bedtime. Does anyone really stay up until 2am to turn the darn things back?

The universe is big It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely
impossible things just happen and we call them miracles

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by deja vu » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:25 pm

I came across a site that lists countries and when they Spring Ahead begins and when we Fall Back in 2014.

For Canada and the US, it's March 9th and they fall back on November 2nd.

Take a look -

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/2014.html

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:46 am

Two months and two days until North America reverts to Standard Time. It's likely that electricity suppliers have different consumption rates/times in effect around the same time as the clock change.

Three weeks of summer remain. Today's the last day of August!
80s pop music fan here!

deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by deja vu » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:22 pm

It's time! One hour back at 2am, but for most it will be before bedtime.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/daylight-s ... -1.2816780

There are a number of exceptions dotted across Canada including:

* Creston, B.C., which uses mountain standard time all year.
* The areas of Québec east of 63 degrees west longitude, which is on Atlantic standard time year round.
* Southampton Island in Nunavut, which is always on eastern standard time.
* Pickle Lake, Ont., and Atikokan, Ont., which observe eastern standard time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_s ... ted_States

the exceptions In the U.S. are -

* Arizona (except for the Navajo Nation, which does observe daylight saving time)
* Hawaii
* Puerto Rico
* American Samoa
* Guam
* The Northern Mariana Islands
* The US Virgin Islands.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:28 am

I thought there was one area of Saskatchewan that was observing only Standard Time all year round. I had not known about the BC and Quebec locations. As for the US island territories-tourism is made easier if the time does not change.

Found reference to the Time Act 1966: Saskatchewan is on Central Standard Time year-round except for Battle River (Lloydminister), which observes Mountain Standard Time in the winter.

Hadn't realized that the Northern Mariana Islands were US territories? It's not a familiar name at international sporting events but the place does show up on clothing labels (check licensed designer sportswear tags).

What a treat to have that extra hour for sleep today!
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:33 pm

Next week, North Americans will do one of their least favourite things-put their clocks forward on Sunday, March 8. However, the gardening fans might be already thinking of sprouting seeds for May planting or getting their potting area ready for a warm day.

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/events.html

Antarctica goes ahead on Daylight Saving Time by one week, so this Sunday is DST day.
80s pop music fan here!

123duyusee

Post by 123duyusee » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:06 pm

Have to get this date into my computer calendar and put a note on the fridge! Thanks for the advance notice.
The count is in...

dreamon

Post by dreamon » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:33 pm

Tick Tock, it's that time of year again and hopefully the last for Canada.

On time zones, Saskatchewan and Newfoundland are not alone on this planet.

At 2 a.m. Sunday, Saskatchewan will effectively remain on daylight time, while the other provinces return to standard time.

Going by the sun's position in the sky, Saskatchewan should be on mountain time, the same as Alberta. The border city of Lloydminster gets it right and uses mountain time but the rest of Saskatchewan is effectively on daylight time year round, while the province says it's on standard time.

Lots of places do the same, and some by more than an hour.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/time-zones ... -1.3296797

It's time to reset the clocks and "fall back" this weekend.

Canadians in provinces that use daylight saving time during the summer months will need to turn their clocks back by an hour at 2 a.m. on Sunday Nov. 1 for the switch to local standard time (although it's probably a good idea to do it before heading to bed Saturday night).

In other words, at 2 a.m. local time on Sunday the clocks officially roll back to 1 a.m. and people will get an extra hour in bed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/end-of-da ... -1.1333086

There is enough evidence to end the practice in Canada, hopefully this is the last time we have to deal with it. Change.org has been busy with so many Canadian petitions since our election started and now finished and DST is the latest one to sign up and with enough signatures, perhaps Trudeau will let the rest stay in line with Saskatchewan.

The universe is big It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely
impossible things just happen and we call them miracles