Helping others

pretzels

Re: Helping others

Post by pretzels » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:20 pm

Beer bottle and can drives can be used for charities. Just have to talk out your plan with the charity you want to help and figure out who/how/when/where. Then you got to talk with the bottle return depot to plan when you and volunteers can bring the empties after the collection hours have ended.

Permissions are important for the cause you want to help, the place(s) where you want returns brought and the depot. Think if you can get someone to arrange a truck or trailer for taking the returns back. Shelter for the volunteers from rain/sun and maybe snacks or water and gloves and sanitizer for hands. Where to advertise in your community and online.

And volunteers-do you want shifts of them or do want the volunteers to commit to the whole morning or whatever timeframe you are doing the drive? Think also about having different bottle glass sorted as well when returns are made and ensuring cases are full of bottles before loading on the truck.
Old salt on board.

smitty

Post by smitty » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Summerland is a small town with no public transit system, like to Penticton & back. So many of the eldery people have purchased electrically powered four wheelers & the are accepted on the sidewalks, bat the rare time theh might be crossing the road. So when walking down the sidewalk we are prepared to see some of the old timers on their four wheels.

True a larger vehicle is needed to get them down toi Penticton & back again. Even going to Kelowna is a place I would not want to travel with my Subaru of m/c & latter for many reasons.

smitty

Post by smitty » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:01 am

Unfortunately those that live in B.C., Province are seemingly in dire need of hearing-aids. We seem to out do other Provinces in Canada.

I know my right ear is the strongest, but left is not that good. Fact is even with a better hearing ear to the right, finds it almost impossible to make out young people in their form of high pitched form of speech.

Considering these "so called" hearing aids are well into a thoustand dollars each time & have to be renewed every 5 yrs or even earlier.

I have thought of buying a cheap unit that is exposed to others for my left ear, but presently I am no dealing with young people & their form of speech.

I ran into a problem of a female constable, that noted my ear plugs falling out, was main reason I could not hear her from he squad car. I simply told her to check with the few RCMP m/c cops & that most normal m/c riders use similiar ear plugs to ease off the sound from the breathing system in our costly helmets.

Personally I feel the so called loud music in other cars, is another reason for us suffering & needing the ear plugs so some safety. It is not the exhuast note of our m/cs even if they have been kept back to normal for I know my m/s are quiter then the average car. For if you saw one of my comments on a m/c board I was continually praising m/cs to be left normal when it comes to the exhaust sound AND that even normal with bikes for most forms of dirt competition.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:03 pm

Take an hour to reflect on how your year has unfolded so far. Do you know of personal friends and acquaintances that had hard times and needed help to get shelter, work, food or clothing? Did you benefit from similar needs this year? What about your community-the local one or one that you feel connected to-what needs exist that could use your volunteer time or resources or money for its Christmas hamper/winter coats/dinners to the homeless or impoverished? Or it could just be as simple as taking time to chat with seniors in your neighbourhood and providing the occasional lift needed to a far appointment, getting some shopping done or having a coffee outing for a change of scenery. Loneliness is a daily reality for some seniors.

If you have a generous nature in giving gifts, think about causes that allow you to buy food/crops/livestock to help a family in need and give your recipients a card indicating what you supported in their name. Humanitarian efforts always could use money to support medical clinics, to provide meals and to set up shelters. Perhaps supporting small businesses is how you feel the road to independence will begin for many people. See what YOU can do to help people in need this autumn.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:33 pm

One of the finer articles on how someone with fame and some fortune is using that combination in charitable works to help others. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/a ... le-be.html
Author J K Rowling is involved with Lumos, her charity in Europe that is helping orphaned/displaced children get a home with aims of transitioning to a real family or going back to their own biological family. The author was struck at what passes for state orphanage care for young children and she was determined that the children have better homes and hopes than when she first knew of the children's needs.
80s pop music fan here!

burnt fare

Post by burnt fare » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:26 pm

I do what I can of free will to help others. Getting tired of being asked to donate everywhere: in stores, from friends, from colleagues. There are good causes but money only goes so far.
Burger time

alohasand

Post by alohasand » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:10 pm

Stores, right-there are kids outside selling cookies or chocolate for a cause like on payday Friday. Or the cashiers having a quota on customers who get convinced to support the store's causes.

Freewill is best. Sometimes there are causes that get the benefit of a special day where there are hot dog sales and on Saturdays, they get foot traffic in the parking lot. Still have to pay attention that no driver wants to run you down with your lunch in hands.
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.

manga2read

Post by manga2read » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:05 pm

Now that school has opened for many students, there will be clothing drives for coats when weather turns cold. Know that August, there were backpacks with school supplies provided to kids through various volunteer efforts. Food drives will pick up as schools collect as part of community outreach efforts to help others or give up candy for Halloween but receive food items to give to food bank.

How many years have such efforts been needed to keep people going in daily routines? Think the breakfast clubs will see happy faces because likely some kids went without food often during the summer if the parents did not plan and buy and serve food.
a word with you

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:27 pm

Food banks/food drives-if you can spare cash or canned/packaged food (check dates and see organizations' websites for most needed items) this Thanksgiving weekend, food banks will appreciate your help at this time.
This is a good way to perhaps redeem your loyalty program points to purchase groceries and personal care items for the drives.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:59 pm

The flyer and mail appeals are showing up in mailboxes and e-mail accounts; television news hours usually feature a cause or organization that will have an upcoming drive to help someone in the community.

Store cashiers may be asking you to donate to a cause at checkout. Be aware that you may prefer to look for online donation websites that allow for income tax receipts as checkout or at the door donations in stores do not yield tax receipts.

Word-of-mouth, outdoor signs, newspapers, and social media accounts are other ways that charities or people in need will come into your attention span. See what you can do and what you cannot do to help someone or even some creature in this month. Time/talent/treasure-which can you give?
80s pop music fan here!

sharkeys

Post by sharkeys » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:28 pm

Food banks may not be the right solutions in helping community members in need. One organization decided that donations at stores that went to cards that allowed people in need to buy their own non-taxable food items was a more dignified approach.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/02 ... eenan.html
Instead of collecting and warehousing food and then giving it to people in need (whether it was the kind of food they wanted or needed or not), Operation Sharing set up a new program, called Food for Friends. People donate at the cash registers of their local grocery stores where cashiers invite them to give a quarter each time they shop. That money funds food cards given to recipients that are good only for non-taxable items (most staples are not taxable, most junk food is), who can shop for themselves.

It removes a lot of the obvious inefficiency in the food bank system — no need for trucks to ship thousands of pounds of cans all around town and back, no need for armies of volunteers to sort donations and assemble boxes, no need for warehouses to store it all. But better yet, Giuliano says, it provides an element of dignity to the recipients, allowing them the control over what food they have the option to eat. When he himself relied on a food bank as a young man in London, Ont., he says, he found the experience humiliating. He likes to think giving people the means to shop for themselves is less so.
Social media can definitely help with promoting the cause and how to help. Volunteers are scarce on the ground and logistics and resources take up money too. This idea of helping others is very 21st century.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:21 pm

The birth of baby Max Chan Zuckerberg motivated her parents to plan to give money through a limited liability corporation each year to help
make the world a better place. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/02/techn ... .html?_r=0

Welcome, baby Max! You will have a letter to read in a few years about this new endeavour.
80s pop music fan here!

sharkeys

Post by sharkeys » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:16 pm

Read the Facebook post by Mark and am really, really touched by their reasoning and their hopes! That tot will see much of the world, I'm sure.

sharkeys

Post by sharkeys » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:28 pm

Hurricane Matthew has hit many coastlines this week. Haiti needs help but remember this bit about 2010's earthquake aid:
People who are moved to help should temper generosity with caution, and consult guides to effective, reputable charities. Hard experience shows how donations go astray: The Red Cross raised $500 million in appeals after the Haiti earthquake, but reporters for NPR and ProPublica, in an exhaustive investigation, searched in vain for where all that money went.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/08/opini ... inion&_r=0

sharkeys

Post by sharkeys » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:10 pm

It's that seasonal time of year when charity fundraising requests come to your door, to your mailbox, to your local papers.
Every cause wants you to support their cause.

Budget your charitable giving-you may be able to help locally or give globally. Research who is doing what they say they will with raised funds.
Do charities respect your requests not to have your mailing information sold to other entities? What level of donations will prompt a tax receipt for donations to be issued? Know what your country's tax laws say about international donations-they may not qualify for donation claims on your tax return. If you need tax receipts, know which causes will provide them and allocate your money as best as you can.