A Matter of Perspective-excerpts to inspire

CielOnTap

A Matter of Perspective-excerpts to inspire

Post by CielOnTap » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:54 pm

"George, have you solved the mystery of the flower and the weed?
"A flower is a weed that someone decided to keep," George answered. "A weed is a flower somebody decide to throw-away. There are no weeds; there are no flowers."
-Alien Nation: The Change (book 4).

The excerpt is a discussion about labels between George, one the main characters, and an elder. One of the best quotes that I have discovered in fiction has been written down in a book journal for revisiting as needed. Revising an outlook assists in seeing another way of perception or way of proceeding.
80s pop music fan here!

lil-piggy

Re: A Matter of Perspective-excerpts to inspire

Post by lil-piggy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:49 pm

"Revising an outlook assists in seeing another way of perception or way of proceeding."

Bravo! Brilliant! Well said! Now, if only we could convince the multitudes of that piece of wisdom.....

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:24 pm

I wish I could say that close family members see the logic themselves. They may prefer to try to have me always be the one changing but there is some usefulness in choosing which stands to make of my own.

Nonetheless, the quotation moved me.
80s pop music fan here!

sharkeys

Post by sharkeys » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:02 am

Did the U.S. financial lending places not learn from the old expression "neither a lender nor borrower of money be?"

Sometimes, it helps to have access to funds other than one's own. Paying back is the struggle.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.

Speak1

Post by Speak1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:42 pm

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
lil-piggy wrote:"Revising an outlook assists in seeing another way of perception or way of proceeding."

Bravo! Brilliant! Well said! Now, if only we could convince the multitudes of that piece of wisdom.....
Maybe speakezforums.com will be able to help in some small way. Just maybe. Would be nice.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:12 pm

Some quotations from books read over the years that I expect will inspire heated discussion. Each one stood out from the book I was reading at the time.

In a dazzling vote of confidence for form over substance, our culture fawns over the fleetingness of being in love while discounting the importance of loving.
Source: A General Theory of Love by Thomas Lewis, Fari Amini, & Richard Lannon, 2000.

Chapter titles:
Introduction: Companies Don't Care
1. The language of nobody.
2. You are a pawn.
3. The biggest ripoff of all.
4. The idiot on your left.
5. Business is doomed.
6. Laziness without fear.
Conclusion: laziness without fear.

Source: Bonjour Paresse/Hello Laziness. I put this listing up for humour's sake, in case a chuckle would be appreciated.

But the very society that has taught you that it is good and right and natural to share your life with another person, the same society that in large part defines and measures success by how you manage your relationships and your family, never bothered to teach you how you are supposed to do that.
Source: Relationship Rescue-A Workbook by Phillip C. McGraw, 2000.

Subject of dishes: "Why do you say no one can have too many?"
"Because by tradition when the last such dish is broken, the love goes out of a marriage and thereafter disharmony reigns. Since only dishes given at the time of the wedding count, people are naturally anxious to stockpile as many as possible. Especially among those tribes where the women are known to have hot tempers."

Source: a romance novel
80s pop music fan here!

sharkeys

Post by sharkeys » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:00 pm

Laziness chapter titles--(chuckling). The author really did write the words one can think while waiting in a long line for the checkout.

Dishes quotes-there might not be room enough for all the dishes I'd need for angry discussion. Better to buy just two sets and try to negotiate conflicts when possible. Otherwise, I'm on a walk to cool down.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:46 pm

Choose to be a player, not a bystander. Get off the sidelines and onto the field. Know who you are and what you believe in. Take a stand. Join the dialogue and shape the debate. Think and act like owners. Refuse to sell out. And be the change you wish to see in the world. Boom! 7 Choices for Blowing the Doors Off Business-As-Usual.

"What you had in the past does not matter. What you are today is what counts." In Atlantic City, NJ, the pastor invited gang members in a parking lot to attend church that evening, as he was going to give the service. Two guys from the group showed up. 2006 visiting pastor service.
80s pop music fan here!

smitty

Post by smitty » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:20 pm

When Percy & I joined up with the Alpine Club of Canada, to climb rather then doing it ourselves, along with our errors. What struck me is the interest, especailly in the females, of how on the hiking to the base camp to one the way back or even when on an actual climb, THEY tended to spot some stranged named flower out of the impossible. The interest over that or several of the flowers was really quite an interst to others, as well.

Personally I was only interest in the climbing & these partial Latin names to flowers or whatever, well so different & when we had slides of our climbing up would pop the lovely close-up photos that gals had taken. Really from '48 to '60 I was never surpriseced to find women climbers to spot & actually know the names of these different flowers.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:46 pm

It is quite a thrill to have noticed something about human behaviour, Smitty.

Use What You've Got
Your past is what it is. Your family is who they are. Use what you've got. Some of the most successful people in the world have a drive that comes from some combination of sadness, anger, fear, or hurt. What they've learned is how to harness it--how to make it work for them, instead of against them. You can do the same.

Taking stock
On some level there is something about the serendipity of finding the "right" person, reading the "right" sentence, receiving the "right" thank-you letter, or being asked the "right" question that has something to do with luck.
Source for both quotations: Earn What You Are Worth by Nicole Williams.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:29 pm

The Japanese group SMAP (Sports. Music. Assembly. People) has had their 2008 tour branded super.artistic.modern.performance.tour. See if you can see the concert footage from the tour--it is very energetic. You could be inspired to add some zest to your life by trying new pursuits or sports this year. Do your best!
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:32 pm

Words of inspiration come from the four fortune cookies that I had with my morning juice. These fortunes have not been seen before in previous takeout meals that they have accompanied and I wish for all to read them.

1) Some explanations need lot of explaining.

2) Your feet will find the road easy if your heart will walk with them.

3) Concentrate on most important tasks first. Success in business.

4) News of long past matters will change your affairs.
80s pop music fan here!

sharkeys

Post by sharkeys » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:53 pm

Feet will follow the heart. Yes, the mind/body connection can work together or not.

As for explanations, they can depend on the person you're telling them to, as some folks need more time/details than other folks.

Smart fortune cookie sayings--eat more cookies. :D

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:11 pm

From the various clips of past episodes of Gene Simmons' Family Jewels, I came across Mr. Simmons saying something he learned from his mother, a Holocaust camp survivor:

Every day above ground is a good day.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:58 pm

He always used to say that in Japan there is this saying: "Don't chase after people who leave; welcome those who come to your door."

Motoko Inagawa, president of a foreign talent agency, quoting her late husband's advice about coping with departing talent.

Read more about her interesting work with international people: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 705x1.html

She is very active in her work and study pursuits.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:46 pm

Glancing through an online paper, a comment added to a query got my attention. On the matter of marriage, someone wrote:
Let’s stop measuring marriages by their length, the number of children, the financial health of the couple, etc. Let’s start gauging marriages by their emotional and spiritual health: Do the spouses sincerely care for each other? Are they truthful with each other? Do they consistently show each other, in both word and deed, respect, admiration, passion, and compassion? Do they have their priorities grounded in active love of the other spouse? Are they similarly loving toward their children?
Comments on marriage.
80s pop music fan here!

sharkeys

Post by sharkeys » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:50 pm

People need words to move them, to motivate them, to teach them, to reach them. Do continue with more passages and quotes.

pysanky

Post by pysanky » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:52 pm

"Be kind. Everyone you meet is in a struggle." Another way to see others.
Happy New Year-2015 now on scene.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:02 pm

I was thinking again about the quote that Gene Simmons used. It has to have context, because if one resides in a basement apartment that is indeed underground or other shelter that is in underground, it is not bad if one chooses to live in that shelter.

However, in terms of life and death, the quote has context.
80s pop music fan here!

dimsum

Post by dimsum » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:35 pm

Words matter, as does human compassion. Compassion under stress does not come up as easily.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Something showcasing the late Michael Jackson's wit, unintentional or not. The film of his This Is It rehearsals will launch next week worldwide.

Michael Jackson's God-given tour advice
Reuters News Agency
Published On Mon Oct 19 2009
Michael Jackson believed God was providing ideas for his This Is It comeback tour, the subject of a film that hits theatres worldwide for two weeks on Oct. 28.

Entertainment Weekly says the London concerts that were derailed by Jackson's death featured 22 stage sets, aerial dancing and magic. Jackson even wanted a reproduction of the world's largest waterfall, the Victoria Falls in Africa, before producers balked.

"God channels this through me at night. I can't sleep because I'm so supercharged," Jackson reportedly told his director, Kenny Ortega.

"Can't God take a vacation?" Ortega asked. "You don't understand – if I'm not there to receive these ideas, God might give them to Prince," Jackson answered, referring to the rival pop star.http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/mu ... our-advice
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:54 pm

I'm having a look back at excerpts posted in this thread. The July 9 entry is one worth sharing with people in committed relationships or considering making their relationships exclusive. I realized that someone getting married may have considered the important elements of a marriage, not just the fancy reception or visual aspects or the catering. The wedding service and party are for one day, then there are all those other days will less elaborate festivity to share with Mr. or Ms.

Today, someone I know is embarking on that journey. Wishing you a marvellous journey!
80s pop music fan here!

smitty

Post by smitty » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:05 pm

That little bit about a weed being a flower or whatever does sort of fit in my case some yrs ago. Note I was a full-time fruit orchardist & my Mother asked if I would please remove the weeds from around her small garden.

Now to me anything that is green around the base of a tree has to be removed otherwise it is hiding grounds for field mice to chew away at the bark of my younger trees.

Obvioulsly I did my job, only my poor mother was dismayed that I had also removed her flowers----well it was the weeds around the garden was it not?

Having sold out of the business & moved to this home in town I remember my Mother saying to neighbours " My son is a very good orchardist by a terrible gardner". So there be my life in my poor mother's mind.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:57 am

Be. Do. Have. Mindset at work.

Accept, reject, or change--how to respond to situations as they arise-you can accept them, reject them or change how you feel about them. Very hard words to apply.
80s pop music fan here!

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:16 pm

The late Steve Jobs was known for his public speaking, either at commencement addresses or Apple product meetings. A Youtube video about words he spoke at Stanford University to the new graduates a few years ago is provided:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EnBk1Z3 ... re=related
80s pop music fan here!